Wednesday, March 15, 2017

All About Alternative

Yesterday I started doing a lot more research on alternative bands. I took a lot of time going through several music videos on Youtube so I could understand and use the typical representation tropes for my band. One thing that really stood out to me was the laidback attitude that all the bands gave off (Made Violent, Sticky Fingers, and Skegss). Typically, I’ve noticed that the band members have long hair and dress in graphic tees.
While watching many music videos of the bands listed above, I noticed that each video was different from the others. This led me to the understanding that this music genre has a strong appreciation for being unique and quirky. For example, the music video for the song Freddy Crabs by Sticky Fingers is a video that creates a very odd story. The band is shown washed up on an island wearing different hats from soldier helmets to bucket hats (emphasizing their quirkiness) and they notice that there are other people on the island that are wearing gas masks with jumpsuits. At first, the band is shown as scared of the masked group but then Freddy Crabs, the villain of the island, approaches them and tries to kill them with his bare hands and flying crabs. Sticky Fingers then comes together to try and defeat Freddy Crabs by playing their music. This establishes the idea that Sticky Fingers looks at their music and band as something that saved them. After the band stopped Freddy Crabs from harming them, they are shown hanging out with mermaids, the gas-masked group, and Freddy Crabs drinking and having a good time. I believe that this part of the video is meant to illustrate the idea that music brings people from all different places and cultures together. Here is the link to the video.
Another music video I watched that stood out to me was one for Made Violent’s song Two Tone Hair. The music video was filled with many shots and faced editing. The video was very colorful and gave off a hectic feel. When watching the video, I was able to understand the passion the band has for playing music. I enjoyed this video. And how it captured the intensity of the moment that the band was having while playing. Something that Castafellas made clear to me was their love for performing and I really want to capture this passion and express it through the video I will be making. I believe that the techniques used in this music video will help me do so. Here is the link to the music video.
            In the music video for the song No Waves By Fidlar, I really liked how the beginning seemed like I was about to watch a 90’s television show. It started off with TV static following vintage filters and introduction credits with a retro font. I definitely want to do something similar to the No Waves introduction. Here is the link to the music video.
Something that I noticed that was really similar in many of the music videos the use of different lenses, colors, and filters. Also, many of the videos emphasize the strong relationship between the band members. Other than that, they all have a completely different art direction.

I am really excited about my findings and new understanding of this genre and how it has a strong presence of art, fun, relationships, and passion. I am meeting with Castafellas later today during their band practice. My goals for our meet up are the following: establish the direction I want my music video to take and begin filming the band at practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment